This study shows that adults over the age of 20 spend around 6.5 hours a day on their rumps. That’s an awful lot of sitting. Most people tend to ignore the cluster of downsides that come with prolonged sitting, like:
- Increased fatigue and decreased concentration
- Lack of movement that leads to weight gain
- Poor blood circulation
- Digestive problems
In reality, those who sit more than 8 hours a day face the same level of risks as smokers and obese people.
Since we’re all indoor creatures now, and we can’t help but sit during working and gaming, one big thing we can do to offset its side effects is to get a proper computer chair.
Right off the bat, I was sure that the right computer chair would make a difference in my comfort levels.
My old chair was far from ergonomic and often gave me back pains I couldn’t seem to shake off. So my next question was: which one is the perfect computer desk chair for me?
If you have that same question right now, then I’m happy to say I can answer it for you. I’ve done my research and tested the best computer chairs on the market, so you can take your pick from only the crème de la crème. Let’s get to it.
Best Computer Chair For Long Hours (List for 2022)
1. Herman Miller Embody – #1 Best Office Chair for Long Hours
Did you know that there is a chair that not only minimizes the adverse effects of sitting but actually has positive effects on the body?
The Embody Office Chair is the result of years when physicians and PhDs in physical therapy, biomechanics, vision, and ergonomics all work together to design the ultimate office chair.
Many factors came into play when making prototypes for this chair, including preferred postures, kinematics, seated tasks, pressure distribution, and metabolic. Because of this intensive testing, I couldn’t really find anything to complain about with this desk chair.
- A dynamic matrix of pixels makes up Embody’s backrest. It distributes your weight evenly as soon as your back hits the chair. This alleviates pressure and doesn’t restrict your movements, which are the two critical things to maintaining focus and healthy circulation.
- The backrest is designed like a human spine with ribs. This is so that it can align with your back’s natural curve. A design like this will keep you supported, whether in a leaning or reclining position.
- The seat has four different support layers, all made with separate materials. With its multiple layers, the seat height can conform to your specific shape. Plus, these layers allow for plenty of airflows to keep you cool and comfy.
- Its level of adjustability is unmatched. The Embody was created with different users in mind. Allowing you to customize your chair to suit your particular needs makes a world of difference when it comes to comfort in the long term.
Summary: If you’re looking for the “the one” chair that will end your sitting aches and pains, this is it. Embody Herman Miller made with high-quality materials and can adapt to any body type. I’d be shocked if you could find a better model than this.
2. Herman Miller Aeron Executive – Most Recommended Comfortable Chair
The Aeron first debuted in 1994. Since then, it has been revamped to meet the needs of the present worker/gamer. I really appreciate the updated version of the Aeron chair, which doesn’t look much different from the original. The difference is in the details.
- The 8Z Pellicle elastomeric suspension supports the seat and backrest. It offers 8 different points of varying tension, highest around the edges and laxer where the body makes contact.
- Air, body heat, and water vapor pass through the adjustable seat and backrest. This model helps maintain comfortable skin temperatures because it has no foam and fabric. The breathable design will let you stay cool as you work and play.
- The PostureFit SL positions you in such a way that your chest stays open and your pelvis tilted slightly forward. This position mimics the normal standing position. If you’re built a little differently, there are adjustable pads that can support your sacrum and lumbar regions to minimize lower back pain.
- You can tilt it to shift from an upright position to a reclined one. The tilt mechanism received a lot of focus during the chair’s design update, and it shows because it’s much more intuitive.
- The Aeron fits in both office and home settings. With its support for a wide array of postures and activities, the desk chair can be used to boost productivity and prolong game time. It also fits both aesthetics just fine.
Summary: The Aeron Executive Office Chair is the best choice if you’re looking for something that looks familiar, yet offers much more than your average office chair best. Its classic design doesn’t mean it hasn’t been updated for modern use.
3. Herman Miller Sayl Task Chair – Comfortable Mid-Prices Models
The Sayl Task Chair is visually striking, being inspired by suspension bridges. It looks like something out of a modern interior design magazine.
I recommend the Sayl chair to anyone who is concerned about not only comfort but for style too. If you’re deadset on getting this brand, the Sayl is also the most affordable option.
- Its 3D intelligent back is unframed. The unusual elastomer back lets you stretch and move, giving the sitter adequate support and freedom. If you look at it closely, you’ll notice that the thickness varies across the entire backrest. You get more support along the spine.
- The backrest has PostureFit sacral support, which lets your spine retain its natural “S” shape. This improves your posture and lessens fatigue.
- There is optional lumbar support for those with special back needs.
- The Y-Tower back makes the chair stand out visually.
- Its adjustability is stellar, complete with a fully customizable backrest, armrests, and seat pan.
Summary: The Sayl Task Chair is a great choice if you want to spruce up your workspace. It’s definitely not the most comfortable chair on this list, but its ergonomic design is still miles above your run-of-the-mill office chair. It’s also made of recycled material so that’s a plus.
4. Ergohuman High Back Chair with Headrest – Users Love Headrest and Adjustements
If you’re looking for a cheap alternative to the Aeron, this chair is the one that comes the closest to it.
What I love about the Egohuman chair is its incredible lumbar support. The lower part of the backrest pushes out further than the rest of it. There are many other features like adjustable armrests, tilt tension control, tilt angle etc.
The moment you sit on the chair, you’ll feel it supporting your lower back.
- Its auto-adjusting mesh backrest applies pressure based on your body weight. This means that regardless of your weight, you’ll get ample back support and good seat depth. Your weight gets more evenly distributed than on a padded or leather chair.
- The adjustable neck roll headrest cradles your head, taking the pressure off your shoulders. It has three positions so you can adjust it according to your preference.
- The upholstery doesn’t retain heat and allows constant airflow. You probably know that one of the most annoying things about sitting too long, particularly on a padded chair, is it can get quite hot. You’ll start to get sweaty, and that’s no fun. This Ergohuman chair is so breathable and perfect for warmer months.
- The adjustable arm pads are soft yet supportive, and they regain their original shape when you take the pressure off them. This is useful if you like constantly switching your position. The most common addition is the ability to push the armrests in and out
Summary: This Ergohuman is a favorite among Fortune 500 companies. It fits most body types, and it won’t make much of a dent on your bank account. Finally it has a polished aluminium structure that ensures its resistance.
5. Serta – Best Budget Office Chair
You might have heard of Serta because they’re a popular mattress and box springs brand.
Even though that’s what they’re generally known for, they took the market by storm when they released their line of ergonomic office chairs.
Having spent a lot of time sitting on subpar office chairs, I immediately noticed a difference when I tried out the Mid-Back. I’ll also say that chair gaming, despite its executive look, is still very affordable. The chair is thickly padded with foam that doesn’t depress easily, making for a chair that will last a long time.
- Developed with innovative seating technology, the chair tilts the sitter’s pelvis forward. This keeps him or her in a more neutral position, uninhibited blood circulation.
- The pneumatic lift with a lockout feature and arm controls lets you adjust the chair however way you want. If you’re fussy about how your chair is positioned, this Serta model has decent adjustability.
- The BIM active lumbar support pivots, so it supports your lower back at all times. This, combined with a plush body pillow, makes it a step above a typical seat cushion type chair.
Summary: If you’re going for that executive chair look, it gives off that vibe. The best part is you can get one without paying a premium price. As far as padded chairs go, this one offers enough support to avoid any pain from prolonged sitting.
6. Flash Furniture – #1 Budget Option
If you’re looking for a mesh chair that’s under 200, this one by Flash Furniture is worth considering.
Despite being very affordable, it can elevate any home and office space thanks to its modern style. Its build construction is still very sturdy even though it’s modestly priced.
- The changeable height and tilt tension allow for just enough adjustability. Someone with an average body build is going to find this chair plenty comfy.
- The built-in lumbar support staves off back pain and takes the pressure off your joints. It’s not adjustable, but it feels great you’re of average weight and height.
- The ventilated mesh fabric chair is lightweight and breathable. It will air out your back as you get your work done.
Summary: Not everyone needs all the bells and whistles that come with a fancy chair. I, myself, have no need for extreme customization. Sometimes, it’s best to keep things straightforward and go for a chair like the Mid-Back Mesh by Flash Furniture.
7. Steelcase Gesture – M0del From TOP Office Chair Brand
Can a mid-back office chair double as a gamer chair?
Some can, like the Steelcase Gesture Chair. Steelcase has been around since 1912. That’s plenty of time to hone their craft and come up with trailblazing designs and luxurious to the touch.
Their efforts show in their premium offering, the famed Gesture Chair. I was excited to try this one out, and I was not disappointed.
- Custom molded plastic covers the metal components of the seat, making it look sleek with clean lines. If you’re going to pay top dollar, the product has to look premium.
- All its parts are highly adjustable, allowing the chair to accommodate a wide range of users. Its arms can be adjusted in four ways, which is an impressive range of motion compared to other upscale models. Some prefer armless chairs because they can be restrictive, but the Gesture’s arms can adjust to even the most fidgety sitters.
- There isn’t a significant amount of padding in the seat, which some people prefer.
- The adjustable lumbar support isn’t very pronounced, and I appreciate this design choice. Even though it doesn’t stick out very much, my lower back still felt very supported.
Summary: The Gesture Chair is a solid choice for someone who is into heavy computing and gaming. Even though it’s one of the most expensive chairs I tested for this list, it’s worth its weight in gold. It’s supremely comfortable, and it looks cool.
8. Modway Articulate – Ergonomic Mesh Office Chair
Articulate in the context of office chairs means a highly adjustable chair dedicated to computing. Modway comes in strong on this list with their series of ergonomic mesh chairs that will keep you focused and comfortable for hours on end. It even allows you to give your legs a break by reclining.
Loaded with just key ergonomic features, there’s not much about it that makes it complicated.
- Its mesh back makes it comfortable to sit in even on hot days. For those who live in warmer climates all year round or don’t have airconditioning, a mesh back is a plus.
- The cushioned seat is 6 inches thick. Comfort is subjective, and some prefer something plusher to assist their backsides. For a latest office chair, the Modway model has plenty to offer in this regard.
- The adjustable backrest has a range of 5 inches, which allows you to lean back quite a ways for the occasional stretch.
- It has tilt lock, and tension height adjustment, all of which are features that are not commonly found in a standard office chair.
- The mid-back design of the chair has an emphasis on the lower back support, and it’s detachable! You can ditch it if you feel like sitting up straighter.
Summary: The Modway Articulate Ergonomic Mesh Chair is a strong budget contender for having several key ergonomic features. Modway made sure to deliver where it counts.
9. BDI TC-223 – Cheap Computer Chairs
I wanted to look for an executive-looking chair that also has a mesh back. That’s what you might be looking for too. Well, I found it in the TC-223.
Expertly engineered for long work hours, the TC-223 has full ergonomic features. But it’s a tier above mesh chairs because of its black top grain leather seat and polished aluminum base.
- Its professional finish, complete with dual-wheel casters, making it a subtle yet commanding focal point of your office. Mesh chairs often have a generic look to them, but the TC-223 looks high-end.
- The pivoting, adjustable headrest is removable if you don’t need it. But for those who would like their necks supported as they work, it gets the job done.
- The arms are adjustable, giving you plenty of literal elbow room.
- The variable tilt lock and tension control will help you take the pressure off the most used parts of your spine and pelvis. You could work for hours and still stand up from your desk pain-free.
Summary: The TC-223 has garnered many positive reviews, including this one. Its subdued design elements send the message that the sitter is ready for some serious work.
Bonus 1: Viva Office Mesh Chair
One of my friends tested this chair out for me and reported back with his observations. He said it completely exceeded his expectations, and it might even be better than his $1,000 chair at the office.
It’s fully adjustable and has a plush seat if you want that extra bit of comfort. Here’s why the Viva model deserves a spot on this list:
- Its pneumatic controls let you raise and lower the seat. They also allow you to lean back while receiving proper assistance all the way. The handle is very sturdy.
- Black mesh covers the backrest and seat, which releases moisture and heat from the chair.
- The backrest was designed around the human spine, hence the curved shape that adapts to your body.
Summary: The Viva Office Mesh Chair is great for everyday use. It has enough adjustments to accommodate most users and has dynamic lumbar support for those who regularly experience back pain.
Bonus 2: Homall Gaming Swivel Chair – Best For Gaming (Under $100)
Upgrading your gaming setup can blow a hole through your pockets. But don’t worry, I have just the right option for you.
If you’re looking for a gaming seat that looks a lot like a racing chair (as most of them do) without going over a hundred bucks, I can make a strong case for this model from Homall with 360 degree swivel.
- The sides of the backrest envelop the user, making him or her feel snug and contained. This design was lifted from racecar seats, which plays into the gamer aesthetic, particularly if you’re into racing games.
- Headrest cushion offers the ultimate comfort as you blaze through the levels of your game. Even after extensive gaming, you won’t feel any back pains or cricks in the neck.
- There is a tilt limiter that disables the reclining feature. However, if you feel like leaning back, the backrest reclines as far as 150 degrees.
- The armrests can be taken off, but they are not adjustable. If you find them too restrictive, you have the option to have an armless chair instead.
- PU leather covering protects the chair from spills, stains, and discoloration. Unlike real leather, it won’t need maintenance apart from the occasional wipe-down if you’re a stickler for cleanliness.
Summary: I couldn’t let my fellow gamers hanging, so I needed to include this one on the list. It’s a solid choice for players on a budget, but want to log in more hours of gaming in comfort.
Bonus 3: Haworth Zody Ergonomic Office Chair
You need a sturdy office chair that is going to last you for years to come. If you don’t want to pay a lot of money, think about an old friend. The Haworth Zody ergonomic chair delivers the serviceability and style you can trust for years. It is light enough that you don’t feel it when you move around the office.
When it comes to office chairs, the Haworth Zody ranks among the top brands. It has earned the trust of professionals because of its heavy-duty structure and versatility, which allows you to work for hours.
The chair has an excellent pivot design so that you can turn it a full 360 degrees and it is height adjustable. So that you can do your research without turning your neck. If you work in an environment where you have to sit for a long time, you don’t want to be in a chair where you cannot sit and keep your back straight.
The Zody has a dual-support system, with the seat at the same level as the seat in the backrest (breathable mesh material). This helps you to keep your back straight when sitting in the office chair and gives you good support. There is no recline option on the chair, but this is a good feature.
The other features of the chair include a built-in standing desk storage system compare to other mesh office chairs. This allows you to store away the items you use frequently and you can work while standing. The chair also has a stackable storage shelf. These storage shelves have wheels that allow you to easily move them around.
Exercises for Sitting at a Computer for Long Hours
Among the ailments linked with long work, hours are a stroke, heart disease, mental health problems, diabetes, and abnormal heart rhythms.
Experts don’t agree on whether all workaholics or workers who put in long hours are cut from the same cloth. The debate: Is it the long work hours or the mentality of the workers that affect health? Most people with back and neck issues.
If you have no way around spending hours and hours on your office chair, there are some exercises you can do to offset inactivity. These are:
- Use an exercise bike
No, I don’t expect you to lug a full exercise in your office. I’m talking about the smaller version of the exercise bike that can fit under your desk.
You can pedal away as you handle your usual work tasks, keeping your leg muscles engaged.
- Stretch your calves.
Instead of planting your feet on the ground, occasionally put your weight onto your heels. Then make your toes reach back to your ankles and point them away as a ballerina would.
- Stretch your glutes
If your seat doesn’t offer much support, your gluteal muscles can get tight after a while. Not only does this put your butt “to sleep, but” it can also lead to back strain. To prevent this from happening, try to move your nose down to your knees.
- Stretch your neck.
As you probably know, looking at a screen and making your head stay in one important position for too long can give you a sore neck. So every few hours, make it a point to let your head drop side to side and forward to backward. Use your hand for a deeper stretch if you want.
Summary: Stretch out your body every once in a while to avoid muscle strain.
How Do I Choose a Good Office Chair?
While choosing a chair is not as important as finding a good ergonomic office environment for yourself, choosing the right chair for your needs is crucial. When your daily office tasks are of physical nature such as typing, sitting, lifting, walking, bending, or even if you are typing for hours on end, your work chair should not be too comfortable. Select a good chair that is well-fitting and comfy to ensure a comfortable work experience. When choosing a good ergonomic chair for your physical needs, it is a good idea to measure the arms and the back of your chair. Use a long ruler that will span from one end to the other. The device should be a few inches longer than your chair back. If the device is too short, your spine may be curved forward. If it is too long, your neck will be bent, putting more pressure on the small of your back.
Always choose a chair that is close to the measurements of the big and tall device. Also, check if the chair is adjustable or not. Some companies offer ergonomic products that you can purchase, while others offer in-house adjustment and servicing of the product. What Should You Consider When Choosing a Desk? The desk should not be too heavy. A heavy desk will cause your shoulders to droop forward and your spine to curve forward. The best kind of desk for your physical needs is one that is light and thin. Consider the work that you do to determine if a desk is good for your work. If you work on a computer, then a light desk is important to keep your eyes comfortable.
Which Type of Chair is Best for Computer Work?
There are many choices when it comes to choosing the best chair for office work. You need to take the convenience of your workplace into account when you make your choice. In general, a good, adjustable desk should be chosen. If you are also using a computer monitor to work, you need to consider the screen size and resolution that you are using. You also need to consider whether your monitors are mounted to the desk you are using.
For people with disabilities, chairs with pivots or different angles are often best. Some can be used at home as well as in a workshop or a house. However, if you are spending hours each day working in an office, you need a comfortable chair for long periods. If you want to make sure you are comfortable for a long time, look for an office chair that reclines. A good recliner can be quite a revelation, especially when it comes to the way you sit when you spend more than ten hours a day in the same position.
Are Gaming Chairs Actually Worth It?
Many would argue that the design of a computer chair is very important and that those materials that should be used, aren’t always found in the selection of chairs. Some computer chairs are quite comfortable and some are very uncomfortable. Some of those more comfortable ones may cost a few hundred dollars, while the uncomfortable ones may cost hundreds of dollars. However, some of the designs of those computer chairs are actually not that bad as compared to the non-computer-chair style.
The size of the chair and the position are important when it comes to choosing the chair. The height of the chair should also be comfortable and can help the computer chair user to remain in a comfortable position. Another important thing is the color and the design of the chair. Many of the popular gaming chair brands offer different kinds of shapes and designs that help.
How Long do Herman Miller Aeron Chairs Last?
The Aeron is a fan favorite among Herman Miller’s products, and rightfully so. We love our Aeron Studio chair and use it at work for over 20 hours per week. We don’t really like the split base which makes it a bit more difficult to adjust it in the center, but that’s a small trade-off. The rocker-style armrests are one of our favorite features of this chair. They allow us to position the arms just so for comfort.
When it comes to giving your chair a nice and long life, Herman Miller has a lot of advice on their website. According to them, a good rule of thumb is to replace your Aeron between 5-6 times per year. That means you’ll be able to enjoy your Aeron for at least two years. When your life starts to catch up with the chair, you can start looking for a replacement. There’s a few pieces of the Aeron that can break down over time. The most likely culprit is the rocker armrest. In our opinion, this is the piece of furniture that takes the most wear and tear, and we can see why. The armrest is much more susceptible to accidental scratching and pinching than the seat.
Where To Buy
If one of the chairs on this list has piqued your interest, you might be wondering where you get it. Easy. Just check the maker’s official website and see if they’re offering a special deal on it.
Alternatively, you can Google a reliable office furniture dealership in your location. If you want a chair delivered to your doorstep, look for your favorite model on Amazon.
Summary: Check out the manufacturer’s website or reputable sellers when buying products online.
Why Are Gaming Chairs So Uncomfortable?
The height of gaming chairs is still the same as the seats you can get from any furniture store. But what we noticed with newer versions of these seats are the way they distribute weight, and how they can affect the back of the user. There are a number of reasons why gaming chairs are becoming popular, but the biggest factor is comfort. That’s a big reason why gamers aren’t throwing out their old chairs anytime soon. It’s common knowledge that gaming chairs aren’t the most comfortable for long periods of time, and for good reason.
Both ergonomics and the physical structure of the chair are heavily considered before a chair is produced and sold to the public. Since gaming chairs are custom-tailored to their customers, each customer will differ in their personal requirements. That’s why no two gaming chairs look the same. So, what is so challenging about designing a gaming chair that is both highly comfortable for long periods of time and comfortable for gameplay?
Final Conclusion on Best Computer Chairs For Long Hours
I stand by all the picks I’ve included on this list in this guide. All of them are ergonomically sound and meant to fit all budgets.
The Aeron chair is an office worker’s favorite. The Sayl is perfect for design enthusiasts who like unique-looking furniture.
The Ergohuman chair is for those who don’t want to break the bank, but still want to get high-end features. The Serta is a budget-friendly choice for those who experience compressed disc pain.
Flash Furniture’s no-frills design for their office chair makes it a safe bet. Like the Steelcase Leap – The Steelcase is beyond cool and looks like something that can be found in Google headquarters. The Modway Articulate has all the necessary ergonomic features.
The TC-223 combines class and functionality in one sleek package. The Viva office chair can go head-to-head with expensive chairs despite its relatively low price. The Homall Gaming Swivel Chair is the best budget gaming chair around.
But my absolute favorite is the Herman Miller Embody Chair.
It was designed by world experts on biomechanics, which makes it a couple of notches above all the other chairs out there. It almost looks medical, but don’t let that turn you off.
The Embody embodies all the concepts that are involved in keeping the body healthy through proper posture. Join all its satisfied users (including me) in a new realm of comfort.
Don’t just sit through the pain of inferior office chairs day in and day out. Trust me; it will work wonders for your work and gaming life.