Did you know that the usual therapeutic massage session is about $65? Did you know that an ergonomic office chair can get up to $1500?
It’s time to save some money. If you have chronic back pain, as I do, you know how expensive the treatment can get. If you don’t have that, invest in the future of your health.
Massage office chairs help you unwind sore muscles after long hours sitting, plus they respect the principles of ergonomics to keep you in a correct posture.
I’ve tried and tested all the models below, so I know they all work, but they fit different purposes. Find the best chair for your needs now! Read along.
Best Massage Office Chair Models (List Updated for 2020)
All the office chairs below have massage functions. But does that mean they’re the same? No! These chairs are as different as can be.
Make sure you choose a model that fits your needs. If ever in doubt, come back to the types of massage chairs above.
1. Barcalounger Shiatsu Heated Office Chair with Massage
The Barcalounger Shiatsu Heated chair is easy to operate and helps you relax in comfort thanks to plenty of functions and options, such as:
- It targets your upper back to decrease shoulder and neck pain and improve your posture
- It targets your lumbar area to alleviate chronic back pain
- It features a deep-tissue massage that is intense enough to work on knots and pressure areas
- It allows you to adjust the massage intensity by changing the recline level so you can push more weight into the chair
- It features various automatic massage programs to choose what you need (kneading, spot, Shiatsu)
- It relaxes and unwinds your muscles thanks to the heated coils
- It’s safe thanks to its 30-minute auto shut-off
The Barcalounger Chair is padded with layered memory foam on top of coiled springs for optimum support and bounce, from the headrest to the waterfall seat edge that improves circulation.
That way, you will be able to keep the correct posture and minimize the risk of back pain.
This chair is stylish and looks very manly thanks to its brown-bonded leather upholstery, but this type of leather isn’t extremely durable.
Summary: The Barcalounger Shiatsu Heated Massagging Chair can reduce back pain and relax you through its comprehensive massage options.
2. HomCom Office Massage Computer Chair
The HomCom Office Massage Computer Chair is in the affordable price range and has a stylish, classic design.
You can even get one in white to add more class to your office space, though there are plenty of other colors to choose from.
The HomCom Office Massage Chair:
- Contours your body and allows proper weight distribution because it has an ergonomic design
- Improves blood circulation and helps you relax thanks to its combination of therapeutic heat and vibration options
- Targets your upper and lower back, plus your legs
- Is easy to operate thanks to the remote control
- Is made from eco-friendly leather that feels comfortable on your skin
- Is easy to personalize for tall and short people thanks to its adjustable seat height
Summary: The HomCom Office Massage Chair is an affordable option for people who want to relax and unwind after sitting long hours at their computers.
3. Relaxzen Heated Executive Reclining Massage Chair
The Relaxzen Heated Executive Reclining Chair is an ergonomic and supportive office chair even when you’re not using the massage function because:
- It has a supportive headrest
- The backrest is curved to keep your spine relaxed
- It features incorporated lumbar support to take the pressure from your lower back
- The seat padding and waterfall edge improve circulation to your hamstrings and eliminate tailbone pain
- The armrests are rounded and padded, so you won’t get elbow pain or crunch your shoulders to your ears
- You can adjust the tilt and seat height to customize this chair to your needs and body shape for maximum support
The Relaxzen Heated Executive Chair works well as a massager too because:
- It’s relaxing thanks to the six massage motors
- It is easy to personalize thanks to its 12 custom settings
- You can target various areas in your body: upper back, lower back, and thighs
- The massage is easy to personalize with five automatic modes and three intensity levels
- You can adjust the massage time for 15, 30, and 60 minutes
- The lumbar heat is gentle, but it unwinds your lumbar muscles and improves the massage quality
Summary: The Relaxzen Heated Executive Chair is a stylish, functional office massage chair, best for lumbar pain.
4. Broyhill Chair
The Broyhill Massage is made with PU leather, which is elegant and sleek.
The design is ergonomic with a curved backrest that cradles your spine, a padded seat, and armrests, plus an incorporated headrest for upper body support.
The seat height can be adjusted, so your knees are always at a 90ᵒ angle for enhanced circulation, whether you’re tall or short.
The pneumatic gas lift allows tension adjustment so you can recline to take the pressure off your back, and you can use the lock lever to secure your position.
The Broyhill chair has good massage options:
- Six vibrating massage nodes for your upper back, lower back, and hamstrings
- Lumbar heat for an effective lower back massage
- Five massage modes (pulse, wave, press, auto, normal)
- An intuitive remote with a pocket holder
- Two intensity levels (mild and strong)
Summary: Broyhill Office Massage Chair is good for tall people who need a vibrating massage to unwind and improve circulation.
5. Essentials Heated Shiatsu Office Chair
The Essentials Heated Shiatsu Massage Office Chair is an ergonomic model because it has a curved backrest that keeps your spine in a natural and relaxed position.
The plush seat offers good support, while the armrests are curved and padded to improve circulation.
The segmented padding for the seatback, headrest, and seat guarantees reliable zonal support for the whole body. The adjustable recline further takes the pressure off your back, allowing you to relax.
The Essentials Heated Massage Chair is made with SofThread Leather, which looks elegant and feels smooth.
Massage-wise, this chair offers you a deep-tissue Shiatsu option with heated nodes that feel very lifelike. You will get kneading and rolling massage for your back to alleviate any chronic or acute back pain.
Summary: The Essentials Heated Shiatsu Chair is ergonomic, sleek, and offers a good combination of Shiatsu and heat for chronic back pain.
6. BestMassage Ergonomic High Back Office Chair PU Leather
BestMassage is a reputable company in the world of massagers and recliners, and this chair has the same quality level that the company has accustomed people with.
You’ll notice the ergonomic design that contributes to an enhanced posture and limited backaches even without the massage function.
The headrest supports your neck and upper body to limit strain and muscle tension in this area, while the curved backrest and lumbar keep your spine in a naturally curved position.
The seat is cushioned and cradles your thighs to avoid any tailbone pain, while the waterfall edge doesn’t restrict your circulation. The curved, padded armrests ensure that they won’t dig into your arms or elbows.
The PU leather material is high-quality because it’s resistant and looks well. This leather is also resistant to oil and water. The base is strong and durable because it’s made with a sturdy metal backed by a BIFMA certification.
This BestMassage office chair features two kneading and vibrating automatic massage programs that help you increase your productivity.
These massage modes are suited for people who sit down for long periods and need to unwind and to release tension from their achy muscles.
These massage modes target your upper back, lower back, and seat area. The best part is that you can adjust your massage in 15-minute increments.
Summary: The BestMassage Ergonomic High-Back Office Chair is a durable and functional model for people who want a vibration massage to relax.
7. Flash Furniture High Back Black Office Massage Chair
Just like most of the models I’ve reviewed above, the Flash Furniture High-Back Office Massage Chair has a contemporary, plush design fit for an executive.
This office chair is ergonomic thanks to its curved backrest, incorporated headrest and built-in lumbar cushion for enhanced weight distribution, minimized back pain, and a correct posture.
The seat is contoured like the backrest and has good padding for prolonged sitting, while the padded armrests support your upper body.
If you have back pain or are sitting for long and want to relax, you can recline back to take the pressure off your back.
The tilt tension is easy to adjust with the side knob, and you can also secure the seat into place with the lock mechanism.
Massage-wise, this Flash Furniture chair is limited to two options: the lumbar and thigh area.
You can turn on and off the vibrations separately, though, which allows you to massage the lower back and thighs independently. You can also set the intensity on two levels, low and high, via an intuitive remote with a side-pocket.
Summary: Courtesy of its contoured seatback, a lumbar cushion, and independent lumbar and thigh massage, the Flash Furniture High Back Black Office Massage Chair is best for people with mild lower back pain.
8. Cungon Online Office Massage Chair High-Back & Executive Ergonomic PU Leather Heated Vibrating
The Cungon Online Office Massage Chair is ergonomic and comfortable, with a contoured backrest, seat, and headrest for full-body support.
This chair features several ergonomic adjustments, including seat height, flip-up armrests, and back recline to 105ᵒ, which is recommended for people with compressed discs.
The materials it uses are quality because the PU leather upholstery is soft, while the padding is made with thick memory foam that contours and supports your body, with the right amount of cushioning.
The Cungon Massage Chair features six massage nodes that offer a vibrating massage to your neck, back, and thighs.
You have a few adjustment options for the massage, such as two intensity levels (low and high), plus five massage modes (pulse, press, wave, auto, and normal).
You can set the timer to 15, 30, and 60 minutes, but remember that the nodes need a little time to warm up properly.
Summary: The Cungon Online Office Massage Chair is best for heavy people who want fatigue relief during their workday courtesy of a good vibration massage.
9. Comfier Shiatsu Massage Office Chair (Neck & Back Massager)
The Comfier Shiatsu Neck and Back Massager is a seat pad you can place on top of your office chair or home recliner to get a quality, full-body massage.
This pad works for people who need a comprehensive, life-like massage to soothe tired muscles or painful knots.
It’s especially good for people with chronic back pain who want to alleviate muscle fatigue and pain from compressed discs.
The Comfier uses innovative technology, combining 2D and 3D Shiatsu massage nodes that apply various techniques such as finger pressure, air compression, heat, rolling, and vibration.
These techniques have different purposes because finger pressure and air compression work best on stubborn knots, while heat and vibration improve circulation, and the rolling motion relieves muscle tension for top relaxation effects.
The Comfier pad massages your neck and shoulder area with four rotation nodes that move in and out to mimic the movements of a massage therapist’s hands.
The back massage features an adjustable rolling that fights muscle pain, and you can adjust the distance between the two massage heads that travel on your back.
Choose the SPOT massage function if you want the massager to work on a specific area. The zonal massage allows you to opt for the upper back, lower back, or a full-back massage.
If you choose the full-back massage, you can also turn on the therapeutic heat and two air compression pads for the waist and hips that work on three intensity levels.
Summary: The Comfier Shiatsu Neck and Back Massager is a pad for people who want a comprehensive neck and back massage with plenty of options to choose from, but aren’t looking to buy a chair.
10. Nexttechnology 6-Point Vibrating Office Massage Chair
The Nexttechnology Vibrating Massage Office Chair is in the medium price range.
This chair is elegant and ergonomic with a curved backrest, plush headrest, built-in lumbar cushion, and supportive seat for long hours working.
Ergonomic adjustments include height adjustments and tilt to 125ᵒ. If you have compressed disc pain, lock the recline at around 105ᵒ to further take the pressure from your back.
This recline pairs well with the 6-point massage. The nodes vibrate on your upper back, lumbar area, and hamstrings to provide a relaxing massage.
This vibration massage works in combination with the soothing heat to further improve circulation and soothe tense muscles.
You can personalize your massage session by choosing one of the five modes (auto, normal, press, pulse, and wave) and the massage duration (15, 30, and 60 minutes).
Summary: The Nexttechnology Vibrating Massage Office Chair is best for people who want a relaxing massage, who have issues with bad circulation or compressed disc pain.
11. GTRACING Gaming Chair with Footrest for Big and Tall
GTRACING Gaming Chair has accommodating dimensions and is made with sturdy materials that help it support people up to 350 pounds, like the metal frame and thick padding.
This chair has an ergonomic design that includes:
- Adjustable headrest
- Adjustable lumbar cushion
- Patented racecar design for prolonged hours
- Padded seat
- Retractable footrest
- Height-adjustable armrests
- 90-170°reclining and rocking
- Synchro-tilt to lift the seat when you recline the backrest, so you always get the top support
All these features help you adjust the chair to your needs to support your problem areas and remove the pressure from various parts of your body.
While this chair offers firm support, you can check out the Westwood Heated Massage Gaming Chair for a more cushioning experience.
Summary: While the GTRACING Gaming Chair isn’t a massage gaming chair, it’s a good product for gamers who need an easy-to-customize chair that removes the pressure from various areas of their bodies.
What are the Main Types Of Massage Chairs?
Don’t just choose the first massaging office chair you stumble upon. You need a chair that fits your needs! That’s why you should know which types of massage chairs you can pick from.
1. Heat Therapy Massage Chairs
These massage chairs come with heat therapy that unwinds tense muscles and enhances blood flow.
These two issues are frequently associated with sitting down for long hours. Besides, when your blood is circulating well, and your muscles unwind faster, the massage becomes more effective.
Best for: Relaxation and improved circulation
2. Shiatsu Massage Chairs
These desk office chairs have an additional Shiatsu massage, with nodes that target several pressure points located on your neck, upper, and lower back.
Shiatsu massages are recommended to people with chronic back pain, which prolonged sitting can cause.
Best for: chronic backaches
3. Massage Chairs with Footrest
Putting your feet up improves blood circulation because your blood can travel easier to your heart when your feet are up, instead of traveling down to your toes.
Lifting your feet can also improve muscle soreness and pain in the:
- Lower body
Best for: people with diabetes and poor circulation
4. Massage Executive Chairs
These massage chairs look stylish; they’re made with high-end materials and offer plenty of ergonomic adjustments on top of the massage features.
As they have high backs, probably with adjustable backrests and headrests, you will get top upper body support.
Best for: people who need good upper body support; people with chronic pain
5. 8-Point Chairs
These massage chairs target eight essential pressure points with their full-back body massage, so you can unwind faster, relax, and improve your productivity.
This type of massage is very effective because it covers more than your lower back, like most massagers.
Best for: people who sit for long hours; people with chronic backaches
6. Gaming Massage Chairs
Gamers know the meaning of sitting down for hours, so they need extra support and cushioning.
These massage chairs are specifically designed to target the body parts that get sore the most when you’re gaming. You will get instant pressure relief and be able to kill all those bad guys.
Best for: gamers who need an improved posture
7. Vibrating Chairs
Vibration therapy releases tension, improves blood circulation, and nerve function.
Although vibration is not as effective on chronic back pain as Shiatsu or 8-point massages, it does wonder for overall relaxation and improved concentration.
Best for: people with peripheral neuropathy; relaxation
What to Look For When Buying an Office Chair?
Now that you’ve read all these reviews let’s see the main factors you should take into account before buying an office massage chair.
Ergonomics will always be my top factor, but there are also others. Don’t forget to look at the type of massage chairs again if you want to make sure you’re choosing a good model.
All office chairs should have an ergonomic design because if you’re sitting down for hours at a time, you need the correct support to maintain a proper posture. Otherwise, you’ll get all sorts of aches and pains.
The main rules of ergonomics state that you need to:
- Keep the soles of your feet on the floor
- Make sure there are no gaps between your body and the chair
- Keep your legs uncrossed to prevent numbness caused by restricted circulation
- Keep your back straight
- Keep your shoulders relaxed instead of hunched or lifted to your ears
- Keep your work straight in front of your eyes, not up or down because that causes neck strain
The office chair you want should offer plenty of adjustments and quality padding so you can find a good position.
These chairs allow correct weight distribution, so they keep your spine and limbs relaxed in a natural alignment with each other.
These massage chairs should be made with top materials that are durable, flexible, and don’t scratch easily.
Commonly preferred are metal frames and bases, or at the very least heavy-duty plastic ones.
The best upholstery material is quality leather, while the padding should be high-density memory foam because it molds to your shape and offers the right balance of support and cushioning.
It’s best to purchase a massaging office chair that reclines because that way, you can stretch your spine as the backrest takes most of the pressure from your body weight.
A recliner helps you relax while you’re taking breaks, but it also improves massage efficiency.
If you have compressed disc pain or another type of back pain, you should consider keeping your back at a 100-110ᵒ angle throughout your workday, according to the American Chiropractic Association.
You can either choose an automatic recliner that leans back when you push your weight into the backrest or a manual one.
I prefer office chair recliners with infinite tilt lock adjustments because they secure the chair into place, and they’re easier to adjust.
Choose a chair with massage functions you actually need, not those that simply increase the price tag.
Make a list of your needs and priorities, as well as your budget, before deciding.
- Do you want an intense full-back massage? Get a chair with the Shiatsu option.
- Do you have peripheral neuropathy or want a milder full-back massage? Make sure your chair has a vibration function.
- Do you want to become relaxed faster and improve circulation? Get an office chair massage and heat pad separately, or make sure yours has therapeutic heat.
You should also consider:
- The body parts that will be massaged. Ensure the massager works where you need it to.
- The intensity adjustments. Check for enough intensity levels so you can adjust your massager to your daily needs and preferences.
- Built-in programs. Some people prefer plenty of automatic massage techniques and programs because their needs are varied, while other people are happy with just one or two types of massages.
- Customized programs. Some people want to build their own massage, while others are disconcerted by too many combinations and possibilities.
Color & Design
You want a stylish chair that looks good and fits into your office environment.
Some people focus on functionality instead of design, while others want chairs in their preferred shades and shapes.
If you’re from this second category, it’s best not to compromise, or you’ll end up hating the chair.
Office massage chairs are not as expensive as ergonomic office chairs or full-body massage chairs so that you can find a good model priced between $75 and $300. Some of these models are easy to get for sale on various websites.
Set your budget according to your needs, but remember that the cheaper model has fewer options and functions, plus they’re less durable.
Expensive models are more advanced, easier to customize and offer full-body massages for chronic pain.
Where to Buy
Or you can click on the links above to get one of the massagers I already reviewed and tested. The shipping is fast, and you’ll get an undamaged, quality product in no-time.
All the massage chairs above fit a different purpose.
- If you want a comfy and plush, affordable massage chair that comes in various colors, choose HomCom Office Massage Computer Chair.
- The BestMassage High-Back Office Chair is one of the most comfortable in my review.
- The Relaxzen Heated Executive Chair is best for lumbar pain.
- Broyhill Office Massage Chair is good for tall people who need to improve their circulation.
- The Essentials Heated Shiatsu Massage Chair is good for chronic back pain.
And so forth. But my top choice is the Barcalounger Shiatsu Heated Massage Chair.
This chair is stylish and has supportive contours for long hours. Sitting on it reduces backaches, and you have multiple options and adjustments for the vibration massage.
The Barcalounger offers a penetrating full-body massage that solves various issues, such as stress, poor circulation, muscle soreness, and back pain from compressed discs or sciatica.
Click on the link below. Do you think the Barcalounger is expensive? It only costs you the equivalent of five sessions with a chiropractor. Avoid getting to that point and but it now.