Mesh office chairs are good for people who need ergonomic, flexible support, even though that translates into increased firmness. Cushiony, well-padded chairs can be more comfortable, but they’re not as ergonomic.
Which chair should you pick, though? I have here a list of 11 models that warrant your attention, sprinkled with stories from my experience and that of my friends and colleagues.
REMEMBER: Don’t go looking for the perfect chair, but the perfect chair for your needs.
That’s exactly how I think: in terms of needs and purpose. Go on, let’s see if we can find a model that suits you now.
The Best Mesh Office Chair (Updated List for 2021)
1. Herman Miller Aeron –#1 Best All Mesh Chair
I have an Aeron in my office. After all, it’s God’s chair in The Simpsons, so why wouldn’t I? One time, a colleague who has chronic back pain came into my office to do some work, and I let him sit on my Aeron.
Three hours later, he was still working happily without a single complaint about his bad back.
The Aeron is my top choice because it can:
- Correct your posture thanks to its SL backrest that curves to your anatomical spine sinew, from your shoulders down to your glutes. The result is being able to maintain a correct posture thanks to increased support.
- Minimize stiffness in your neck and shoulders because the armrests provide increased support. The height, depth, and angle adjustments support you in all sorts of positions.
- Alleviate chronic back pain. All you have to do is select the optional lumbar cushion or the optional PostureFit SL with eight pressure zones.
- Prevent all aches and pains. The tension tilt recline takes the pressure off your back. The downside is the lack of a tilt lock for extra security.
- Support you in every position. Apart from the highly adjustable armrests, you can also get the optional Forward tilt if you’re a marathon writer. That way, the backrest will lean with you for extra support without you hunching over the keyboard.
- Be comfortable for hours because the 8Z Pellicle mesh is flexible and promotes good air circulation. If you don’t like the feel, though, use the 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Last you for decades. You have a 12-year warranty, so you’re sure the Aeron will last at least that much. The patented mesh, the steel frame, and custom-made aluminum parts ensure high quality.
- Protect the environment. Most (91%) of the Aeron consists of recycled and recyclable materials, so the chair is GREENGUARD-certified.
Summary: The Aeron is my top choice because it provides increased support in any position. This chair is very effective for lower back pain with all its adjustments and available optional features.
2. Eurotech Vera Chair – Best Back Support
I have a few Veras in my conference room, which I bought for those extra-long sessions. You can’t have too many breaks during meetings and you want people to be as productive as possible.
That translates into choosing an office chair that provides stellar back support.
Eurotech Vera does that because:
- It takes the pressure off your spine with its comfortable tilt. The best part is that you can control the tilt tension for those times when you need a stiffer backrest. The tilt-lock is easy to use and secures your position.
- It promotes a correct posture. The backrest is curved to accommodate your natural spine shape and movements, meaning you’ll always maintain a healthy posture.
- It prevents lower backaches. The plush seat with a waterfall edge keeps your hips forward and open at a correct angle. The seat makes sure that your spine and hips are aligned in a correct position, so your body weight doesn’t push into your lower back
- It supports your back in all positions. The Synchro-tilt option allows the seat to lift while the backrest reclines, meaning your hips and spine will always be supported.
- It offers good upper body support. The armrests are 4D-adjustable, meaning you can change their angle, depth, width, and height for dynamic support. The result is no neck stiffness or upper body cramps.
- You can adjust the chair to your shape and size thanks to the seat height and seat depth adjustments.
Summary: Eurotech Vera offers the best back support thanks to its ergonomic design and adjustments, plus comfortable seat.
3. Raynor Ergohuman Mesh with Headrest – Best High Back
My ex-manager had a Raynor Ergohuman in her office.
Unlike most executives, she preferred to stick to a high back mesh office chair instead of a plush leather one because she values adjustability and flexibility.
The Ergohuman is the best high-back office chair because:
- It’s a well-sold product with a tradition of over ten years on the market, and everyone recognizes it.
- It’s comfortable for tall people because the seatback gets up to 30.5 inches in height.
- You get effective head support that minimizes tension headaches and upper body cramps. The headrest is supportive, and you can adjust its height and angle. The headrest features no padding and fits snuggly into your nape for reliable support when you recline or sit upright.
- You get adjustable back support. The backrest is height-adjustable, while the lumbar section flexes according to your weight. That way, the Ergohuman supports you in a correct position depending on your specific shape and weight.
- You can adjust the chair to your needs, preferences, size, and position. All these adjustments are easy to make. You can change the seat depth, tilt tension, and armrests positions. That way, the Ergohuman is a versatile chair that can be used by different people and in various conditions.
- You can alleviate hip or lower body pain. The seat is curved upwards, keeping your hips aligned to your spine and thighs open at a correct angle. That way, the chair absorbs most of your bodyweight instead of having it push into your lumbar or hip area.
Summary: Raynor Ergohuman is the best high-back model because it offers dynamic support through all its flexible ergonomic adjustments.
4. Modway Articulate Ergonomic Mesh Computer Chair – Good for Sitting Long Hours
If you’re looking for a comfy computer desk chair for sitting longer hours, Modway Articulate is a good choice. I had a Modway for my home office, but my son has now hijacked it. He has scoliosis, and he spends a lot of time studying.
The Modway is the first chair that he didn’t complain about sitting on, so I let him have it. He doesn’t even care it’s pink, though you can find more color options.
Here’s why I got my Modway Articulate in the first place:
- Modway has a good reputation in the world of furniture, and its products have been featured in a lot of Hollywood TV shows, like Modern Family or Arrow.
- The Articulate is a good study chair because it has a modern design, plus ergonomic features and adjustability options.
- It’s breathable and flexible thanks to its high-density mesh that allows you to sit down for hours, even in warm temperatures.
- The seat cushions your thighs and keeps your hips in a correct posture because it has thick, cushiony padding. That way, you won’t feel the need to get up every 20 minutes.
- It prevents backaches. Although the lumbar cushion is built-in and non-adjustable, it will take the pressure off your spine, accommodating a wide array of users.
- You can adjust it to fit your size. You can change the back height, armrest height, tilt tension, or swivel.
Summary: The Modway Articulate is a good choice in the under $150 category, considering it has a sleek modern design and various ergonomic options that make it comfortable for long hours.
5. Eurotech iOO – Best for Ergonomic
I bought Eurotech iOO for my office staff, and everyone’s happy because they can adjust the chairs for their shapes and movements.
- The Eurotech iOO offers ergonomic adjustments such as seat height and depth, back height, armrests width, depth, height and angle, an adjustable lumbar plus 4-position tilt lock. It’s impossible not to maintain a correct posture on this chair.
- It supports you in every position. The natural recline features Synchro-tilt, meaning your thighs lift when your back reclines, so the Eurotech iOO supports all your bodyweight regardless of your position.
- The seat is comfy because it’s padded and has a waterfall edge that doesn’t block your circulation.
- The mesh back is flexible and offers good back support thanks to a two-section design, with an independent lumbar.
Summary: The Eurotech iOO is one of the best ergonomic office chair models because it ticks all the adjustability boxes. The wide scope of adjustments and curved design allow the chair to support your correct posture in every position.
6. Humanscale Diffrient World – Best White
One of my friends has an all-white office. I know, sounds weird. I mean, that’s very high-maintenance! But, according to him, it helps with the natural light, and it makes him stand out when he’s in a meeting.
He asked my help to get the best white office mesh chair, and we settled on Diffrient World because:
- It’s completely white, both mesh and frame, although there are a few grey shades on the casters and cylinder.
- It’s very comfortable, thanks to the high-end mesh. This mesh isn’t abrasive or stiff, so it accommodates your shape and movements for extra support.
- The lumbar support takes the pressure off your lower back, making sure your body weight doesn’t push into your spine.
- It promotes good circulation. The flexible, airy mesh improves your blood flow, but so does the lack of a front seat edge, which would dig into your hamstrings.
- It’s easy to use, although it has limited adjustments. You can change the armrest height, seat height, and seat depth to accommodate this chair to your height. Although the Diffrient World features tilt tension recline, you can’t adjust the tension, nor lock it into place. However, you can purchase the optional 4D armrests for more upper body support.
Summary: Humanscale Diffrient World looks sleek, it’s comfortable, flexible and features some reliable adjustments.
7. BTOD GO-99-3-GG Mesh Chair With Adjustable Arms – Best for Tall and Big Guys (Under 300$)
I picked the GO-99-3-GG for my uncle because he’s a big guy and he wanted a good office chair under $300. He says he’s no longer having any backaches, which is great, even though he sits for long hours.
I chose this model because:
- It’s wide and sturdy. It can support people up to 500 pounds, it has a 24/7 usage rating, and the seat is 25.5-inch wide. The dual casters, chrome base, padded armrests, and cylinder are strong and supportive.
- It allows you to recline courtesy of a swivel tilt with lock and tension adjustment that takes the pressure off your spine.
- It doesn’t let you sweat because the high-quality mesh is breathable.
- It offers good back support thanks to the flexible mesh and adjustable back support. You can also adjust the back height 3 inches, while the lumbar cushion can be adjusted height and depth-wise.
- The seat is comfortable and improves circulation. The seat cushion is thick and offers the right balance of firmness and padding, while the waterfall edge takes the pressure off your thighs.
- It supports your upper back with padded, height-adjustable armrests.
Summary: The GO-99-3-GG is an affordable, comfortable chair that minimizes back pain, but it’s not very durable.
8. Staples Ardfield Task Chair
Best Budget Model – Under 100$
My husband occasionally plays the guitar, and I like to paint on Sundays, so we got this Staples Ardfield Mesh Task chair.
- The chair looks great, whether you get it on teal or black. It looks good wherever you choose to place it.
- The backrest is comfortable and airy, thanks to the mesh. I always feel I can move comfortably on this chair and feel increased support.
- The seat is cushiony, but it also keeps your hips and spine aligned to take the pressure off your lower back.
- The incorporated lumbar support minimizes the risk of backaches even when you’re sitting down for long hours.
Summary: The Staples Ardfield is an affordable chair with good lumbar support for hours, but it’s not very resistant.
9. BTOD 100MC – Cheap Model Under 200$
I like the BTOD 100MC because I’ve tried it in a few conference rooms. This entry-level model is good for startups or people with a limited budget.
I’d choose this model because:
- It offers good back support because it has a curved, mesh backrest with incorporated lumbar support. You can adjust the lumbar in terms of height, to make sure it fits your size.
- It can alleviate spine tension thanks to its good recline. You can change the tension adjustment if you want to sit upright, and also use the three-position lock to ensure the chair is secure.
- You get some ergonomic adjustments, such as seat height, plus armrests height and width. These adjustments ensure you can maintain the correct posture.
- The seat is well-padded, with a flexible cushion that keeps your hips aligned to your spine, to reduce backaches, especially in the lumbar area.
SUMMARY: Although it has a limited functionality, the BTOD 100MC doesn’t hurt your back and is comfortable for long hours.
10. Nightingale CXO – Best With Headrest
I have a friend who bought this model because she wanted a solid, heavy chair with a headrest.
She’s always complaining about tension migraines, and her doctor discovered it was related to poor posture and upper body stiffness.
Here’s what she and other reviewers appreciate about the CXO:
- It’s sturdy thanks to its solid mesh and high-end build quality parts, such as a five-prong die-cast aluminum base and graphite finish. It can support people up to 350 pounds.
- It has reliable headrest support. The headrest is manufactured with Nightingale’s signature memory foam called ENERSORB. This material is soft, but also firm and flexible. You can adjust the headrest height and angle to make sure you get reliable support in all positions.
- The seat keeps your hips in a correct angle and supports your thighs. You’ll see the patented ENERSORB memory foam in the seat. This material is airy, flexible, and offers good weight distribution to make sure you’ll sit in a correct posture.
- It has reliable back support. You can adjust the lumbar support vertically and horizontally. The curved backrest follows your natural spine curvature, and the patent-pending ABLEX™ backrest mesh is flexible and soft.
- It can prevent Carpal Tunnel Syndrome because the armrests are comfortably padded.
SUMMARY: The Nightingale CXO’s design can prevent neck cramps, backaches, tension headaches, poor circulation, and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
11. BTOD Akir – Best Under 500$
BTOD Akir is the best office chair under $500 because it’s extremely adjustable and supportive.
My sister has one because she’s always changing positions and using various devices. She even likes it for gaming.
- You can make all the ergonomic adjustments to support various positions, except for back height. Otherwise, you have seat height and depth, armrests height, width, depth, and angle, an adjustable lumbar plus 4-position tilt lock.
- You get good support when you’re reclining thanks to the Synchro-tilt mechanism that allows the seat and backrest to move together.
- You get good back support because the mesh backrest is flexible, and you can adjust the lumbar pad vertically.
- The seat is the right amount of firm and cushiony. The 3-inch padding doesn’t let you sink, but it also doesn’t make your tailbone hurt.
Summary: The BTOD Akir is a highly ergonomic chair that offers effective support in multiple positions and for different body sizes.
BONUS MODEL, We Should Mention:
12 Humanscale Liberty – Best Conference Mesh Chair
If you’re looking for a good conference chair, choose the Liberty.
I attended several meetings at a start-up company whose CEO bought these chairs, and I always linger for an extra chat to get the chance of enjoying the Liberty feel.
- The chair looks good in every office or conference room because it has a modern, minimalist design. It’s also sturdy and easy to move around because it’s so light. Besides, you can choose any color you want to, as well as different mesh styles and upholstery materials.
- I like the smooth recline that responds to my weight and movements whenever I change positions. That way, people can do all sorts of tasks and still be supported.
- I get good back support thanks to the tri-panel mesh that’s highly flexible. The people in your conference room will have no trouble concentrating or being productive.
- It’s easy to use, although it has limited adjustments. You can change the seat depth and height easily, so everyone feels comfortable regardless of their size. Besides, the armrests are easy to lower down as close to the seat as possible, or as high as you need to.
- You can sit in it for hours because the armrests are comfortably padded, while the seat and backrest are contoured.
Summary: The Humanscale Liberty is a good model for conference rooms because it’s versatile, supports various movements, and comes in a wide range of colors and patterns.
12. WorkPro Quantum 9000 Series Mesh/Fabric Mid-Back Desk Chair
The WorkPro Quantum 9000 office chair is an ergonomic and comfortable office chair that is affordable and comes with a five-year warranty. We don’t often recommend you pay top dollar for office chairs, but if you do, you want a chair that’s built to last, that allows you to sit comfortably for hours at a time, and that keeps your body in the best possible position.
The WorkPro Quantum 9000 office chair fits the bill in every single area. It’s an extremely comfortable chair, for starters, with a material that absorbs shock and supports your back so you’re comfortable, even if you’ve been sitting in it for hours. In addition to offering plenty of lumbar support and a reclining armrest, the WorkPro also comes with adjustable lumbar support. Even though the WorkPro comes in a few different color schemes, we’ve only found one that really stands out – black. And for only $500, you can’t go wrong with this option.
The WorkPro is extremely lightweight and portable, too, so it makes for a great choice if you’re looking to move it to a new home office or apartment. The chair comes with a five-year warranty, and it’s available in a number of different sizes, so it’s easy to find the right size for you. There’s also a six-year warranty option, which is the only other option we’ve found to beat the WorkPro’s price.
Weighing about 35 pounds, the WorkPro is quite portable, and even though it’s a bit bulky and takes up a lot of space, you won’t be able to feel it when you’re working. Still, the chair is recommended for use at up to 200 pounds. It is also suitable for big and tall people.
Pros: Ergonomic and comfortable, six-year warranty, lightweight
Cons: A few users felt that the chair was uncomfortable, and it might not suit all users with particularly narrow or long backs
Is Mesh Chair Durable?
I can’t stress this enough. Mesh chairs are heavier and less portable than the traditional non-mesh ergonomic chairs. If you spend a lot of time sitting down at your workstation, then you need to give yourself time to adjust. Don’t put a heavy mesh chair in your workstation if you don’t already use one. You should spend 5 minutes or so sitting in the chair to get adjusted to its heaviness and the angle you’ll be sitting at while sitting. Make sure your knees are bent, your lower back is supported, and that your feet are flat on the floor. Do not stand up before the time is up!
After you’re used to sitting in the chair for a while, you can then gradually raise and lower the chair to increase the workstation angle. To lower the chair, just lower the footrest and sit down. To raise the chair, raise the footrest, and sit up straight. Repeat this step for about 10 minutes. Then you can adjust the angle of the workstation so that the chair is in a comfortable position for you. After we talked through how you should sit in a mesh chair, let’s talk about some specific mesh chairs that we recommend to our members. These chairs were reviewed by our staff in the same way as the original chair and get the same review. The prices listed in the table below reflect the retailer’s current lowest price. If the lowest price sold out before you made your purchase, we’ve added a new lowest price to the table.
What is a Mesh Office Chair?
A mesh chair features at least backrest mesh, although some models can have a mesh seat too.
Mesh chairs are better for people who have issues maintaining a correct posture and consequently suffer from backaches.
Some people who need increased mobility might prefer a chair kneeling model. If you have knee pain, it’s best to choose for a highly adjustable mesh chair that offers increased support, such as the Aeron.
SUMMARY: Mesh chairs have a flexible, mesh backrest, and a mesh or padded seat. Choose a high-quality model that’s non-abrasive and supportive for long periods.
SUMMARY: All these rolling chair models fit different purposes, and I’ve selected top contenders for all categories. However, the best overall choice is the Aeron because it’s a functional, supportive, and comfortable chair.
Is Mesh Better for Office Chair?
Solid metal armrests, gel-infused cushions, and cooling shafts. These aren’t the staples of conventional office chairs—many of which have been designed for ergonomic comfort and individual preferences. But what if you could create a chair that accommodates the average American’s every need? Is it really better for you, and, by extension, your company? You can thank two extremely intelligent scientists for that—Dan Donahue, who built a product development lab, and William J. Labov, a researcher at the Human-Centered Design Laboratory at Harvard.
Labov explains that the strength of individual muscles differs from person to person, depending on how many of them you have and which muscles they control. This is the reason why, when you sit on an adjustable office chair, your legs are folded up so your body forms the perfect shape to prevent your sitter from arching their back. When you make an adjustment, you’re eliminating the muscle of the lumbar spine,” Labov says. “A lumbar spine goes all the way down into the foot, so if you correct it, you’re almost simultaneously eliminating the other one.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Mesh Office Chair
Now that you’re here, you’ve probably learned a thing or two about what to look for in an office chair depending on your purpose.
But let’s review the top factors involved in your choice:Type of mesh chairs. You can opt for padded seats or mesh seats. Padded seats are better if you like cushiony chairs, if you have frequent tailbone pain, or are pregnant. Open mesh chair models make you feel like you’re floating, but they’re firmer, and you can feel the frame through the seat. Best ergonomic office chairs promote a good posture and an open mesh chair is a great option for that.
Breathability. An open mesh is more breathable than padded upholstery so, if you want increased airflow and cooler sitting, choose open mesh seats. Mesh quality. You need strong, elastic, and soft mesh, aka a high-end material. Elasticity stems from how tightly interwoven the fabrics are, and also how soft. A high-quality mesh will contour to your shape for top support instead of sag. The low-quality mesh is abrasive, sags, and doesn’t offer good support. Back height. If you need neck and upper body support, choose a high backrest of over 28 inches. If you need good lumbar and mid-back support, a 24-inch backrest for the chair is good enough.
SUMMARY: Make sure the chair you get is high-quality and fits your purpose and preferences.
Where to Buy Best Mesh Office Chair?
You can also get various deals, extended warranties and optional features if you check the official websites of the chairs above.
SUMMARY: Purchase your chair from a trustworthy retailer, and avoid shady ones that deliver damaged or out-of-warranty models.
I’m glad you’re here. What model did you choose? I’m sure you already have your heart set on one of the office chairs here. But remember: each chair fits a different purpose.
Whether you want a conference chair, a high-back model with top neck support, or a very versatile chair, you have all these options above.
My opinion stands. The Aeron is the best office chair model you can get because it’s extremely comfortable and supportive.
This high-end chair is made with top materials that allow dynamic support in every position.
You can choose the size that accommodates your body shape the best, plus all the optional additions that improve your sitting experience. It is one of the best office chairs available right now!